Question

30 May 2011

Energy drink
Hi Doctor
My son is Epilepsy who cycles mountain bike race. He dehydrates quickly what energy drink can he use at present he only use water
Thank
Roland

HI Roland

May I ask how you know he dehydrates quickly? Reason I ask is that there's not a whole lot of evidence that dehydration is all that harmful during exercise. It's pretty normal to lose 3 ro 4% of your body weight during exercise, and so if that is happening, it's not actually a problem.

So what symptoms does he have to make you suggest it is dehydration? It may be a lack of energy if all he uses is water - perhaps you can consider something like Powerade or Energade, which is really good enough, unless we're talking multi-day stage race events. Otherwise, those drinks will work, and all he need do is drink to thirst!

Ross