Question

Energy suppliments for diabetics
I have type 2 diabetes and do a lot of mountain biking an would like to know what energy suppliments I can use during a race or an endurance ride. All the gu's and suppliments that I have seen have a high sugar content. At present I am using USN Musle Fuel for pre and post race / ride and Vitrace during the race. The Vitrace if fine during a short ride but when I longer rides 2 hours plus I feel that the energy levels are getting low. Advice on what suppliments to use will be welcome.

Dear Chris
The types of energy supplements and quantities you need for strenuous exercise when you have type 2 diabetes must be worked out as part of your diet prescription by your dietitian. I trust that you have consulted a dietitian and that you have a general diabetic diet prescription tailored to your needs? If not, PLEASE do see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) as soon as possible. The dietitian will have to work out which foods you need to eat on a race day before and after the race and also what energy supplement you need during races. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet because each individual diabetic has different needs.