Question

Enlarged / overgrown thyroid
I have been diagnosed with an enlarged / overgrown thyroid. medication given to me is the same as for an underactive thyroid. Is this correct? I am just wondering because something that is too big usually works too much. Can medication make the tyroid go back to its normal size? What can happen if the tyroid becomes too big and how big can it get?

My apologies. This reply was posted yesterday, but somehow it got lost in cyberspace. Here it is again. CD.

3/26/2003 10:30:00 AM
SubjectEnlarged / overgrown thyroidQuestionI have been diagnosed with an enlarged / overgrown thyroid. medication given to me is the same as for an underactive thyroid. Is this correct? I am just wondering because something that is too big usually works too much. Can medication make the tyroid go back to its normal size? What can happen if the tyroid becomes too big and how big can it get?Posted bygolfie

Golfie, if you suffer from an iodine deficiency, the thyroid may enlarge in an effort to compensate (endemic goitre). It might also swell due to an autoimmune disease like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. But you’re right; most people with large thyroids have normal or increased thyroid functions.
The thyroid can become as big as a tennis ball if it’s left to it’s own devices, but this seldom happens.
Maybe the best would be to get a second opinion from a surgeon and make sure that it’s just your common garden variety under active thyroid. :-) Good luck.