Question

enquiry : use of adco alzam pills
My mother received adco alzam 0.25mg pills on 2011-07-29 - amount 100. I''ve noticed that her reactions is a little bit " slow"  and did some checking, today 2011-08-03 she only has 57 pills left, which means she used 43 pills for 6 days. Is this normal and what should I do, must I inform her doctor who prescribe these pills to her, because for me (and i''m not a doctor) it seems that she has no control over using these pills in the correct manner. On the packaging it only stated :used as prescribed, but isn''t 7 pills a day a bit to much?

Thank you
Addictions expert
Addictions expert

Thank you for your post.
7 pills a day is definitely too much in terms of your mother being totally non-compliant with what the doctor has prescribed her. Alzan is a generic of Xanor which is a benzodiazepine and as such is highly addictive. Unfortunately the body very quickly develops a tolerance for this group of tablets with a result that ever increasing doses are required to achieve then same effect. We suggest that you canvas this issue with your mother as soon as possible and give her the option of informing her doctor that she is abusing her medication, failing which, you should reserve the right to inform the doctor yourself.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team