Question

09 Oct 2009

epilepcy
HI I TAKE MEDICATION FOR EPILEPCY CALLED " PHENYTOIN SODIUM CAPSULES! I GET IT FROM THE STATE HOSPITALS! IS THERE ANY THING EQUAVILANT TO THE ABOVE MENTIONED MEDICATION THAT I CAN GET FROM MY LOCAL PHARMACY?
2: I BATTLE TO SLEEP ALSO IS THERE SOMETHING THT I CAN TAKE THAT' S NOT TOO STRONG AND WONT LEAD TO A FIT? THANKS COBEZ.
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi Cobez

Phenytoin Sodium Capsules are available from most pharmacies, while the originator product, Epanutin, is also available. Your local pharmacy will however require a prescription, so ask your government doctor/pharmacy to provide a new prescription (or a copy of your script) that you can take to your local pharmacy.
Cost? 90 of these caps (the PHENYTOIN SODIUM caps) should be in the region of R50

Stay away from OTC sleep meds - These may trigger fits. Speak to your doctor regarding a suitable treatment for you.