Question

Epilepsy and pregnancy
I am 28 and am 31 weeks pregnant with my 1st child. I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 18, but my epilepsy has been under control for many years. I usually take 300mg Epinutin once per day. Throughout the pregnancy the dr tested the medication levels in my blood regulary, but it was fine. The pregnancy as well is very healthy no problems, the baby is growing and developing normally. During this week I started to get partial or ''absent'' seizures, I went to the dr immediately, the did a bloodtest again and this time the levels of medication was very low and the dr increased my medication to 300mg twice per day, so my dosage doubled. I am wondering why I never had any problems but know it starts? I am also wondering if the sudden big increase in medication won''t be bad for the baby?

Because of the changes in metabolism in pregnancy, it is common for a higher dose of medication to be needed. It is important to control the seizures. The fact that your levels were low means that less is being absorbed and therefore the baby will not be affected by the bigger dose.