Ask an expert

31 May 2011

Excessive period pain
I''ve been having excessive period pain since I was 15 years old, I am now 44 and the situation has not improved, I am finding that it is getting worse. For about 2 days every month I cannot function normally because the pain is so bad I need to either stay in bed or keep myself as still as possible. I have moved around to different cities a lot, and have seen a lot of doctors and gynaes. They all tell me that this is abnormal, and every time I get different medication. Nothing works, I have tried everything, including the mirena. The mirena however, worked, but sexual intercourse felt like someone was sticking needles into me. I lost my job because of this, no employer will put up with it and frankly I don''t blame them. I just want to function normally and be able to find a job again. I have no medical aid because of the fact that I am unemployed, and cannot afford expensive tests. What options do I have?
Answer 372 views

01 Jan 0001

You don't say what you have tried before, but the Pill often helps, as does Ponstan.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9325 votes
67% - 18757 votes