Ask an expert

09 Mar 2003

excessive sweating
I don't know what's wrong with me- i sweat much more than other people. (under my arms) i even sweat while i'm doing nothing! is it maybe my sweatglands or something that are overactive? is there something i can take for it or something my doctor can do for me? it really gets me down because i'm still young and when i wear t-shirts and tops they always show the sweatmarks, so i get really selfconcious and i feel like everybody can see it. please help!
Answer 393 views

01 Jan 0001

TF, assuming that you’re not overweight, don’t suffer from a thyroid problem, adhere to the accepted hygiene regimens and that you’re in good general health, you might suffer hyperhidrosis. This is basically excessive perspiration due to over activity of the sweat glands. It usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons and is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin. Treating the underlying cause is a lot easier than to try and treat the hyperhidrosis itself. If there is no underlying cause, you can try using an aluminium chloride containing antiperspirant (Drichlor®).
If you’re interested you can mail me at and I’ll send you some more info on it. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.