Question

excessive urine
My husband is 79 years of age. He has atrial fibbrilation and has had a few TIAs. I have to care for him, dressing him, helping him with meals, etc as he seems very helpless. He is on Risperdal .5 mg and he has Ecotrin daily. A while ago he had a problem where he wanted to urinate frequently although there was nothing in his bladder (shown on scan). The urologist put him on Vesicare 10mg every other day which sorted that out. During the night he still needs to urinate every few hours. I have to get up and hold a urine bottle for him as he cannot manage his pyjamas and cannot reach the toilet in time. I am worried that he seems to pass such large amounts of urine - about 375ml each time. Could this be a symptom of any problem or is that a normal amount? This is usually 4 times during the night. I am exhausted.

Elizabeth

The amount of urine that is passed, sounds normal. Urination increases at night, due to the better blood flow to the kidneys. It is important to have his prostate examined. An enlarged prostate will cause difficulty in urination, as well as increase frequency. It is imperative that a urologist re-examine your husband.

Please keep me informed, as I would like to hear from you again.

Dr Anrich Burger