Question

exercise and aneurysms
Hi there,
my son has coronary and aortic aneurysms. He''''s on warfarin and ecotrin and has been for 9 of his 10 years. He is very active. He plays cricket and tennis. I believe this is fine, it''''s mostly anaerobic exercise we need to worry about? Exercise that raises his blood pressure. ie weight lifting? Would doing press ups and squats for tennis warm ups be included in this? I can''''t seem to find any conclusive information about this.
Many thanks
Cardiologist
Cardiologist

Dear Sue

Thank you for your query. I am sorry to hear your son has aortic and coronary aneurysms. Presumably he has a condition known as Kawasaki disease.

Being an adult cardiologist I am not an expert on Kawasaki disease. However the same principles regarding exercise should apply to your son as apply to adult patients with coronary disease. Low intensity sustained aerobic type exercise such as walking, jogging, swimming and tennis etc is preferable to high intensity isometric exercise such as weight lifting. Push-ups and squats are essentially a form of isometric exercise, so as warm up exercises I would recommend jogging, stretching, etc, which should be more than adequate.
I presume your son is seeing a paediatric cardiologist, which he should continue to do regularly, and he should see an adult cardiologist once he is old enough. I hope he continues to do well.