Question

exercise and chronic back pain
I have chronic lower back pain, mostly at night - it causes me to wake up - although I have bought a new Restonic Firm mattress. I have learned to live with it, but now I have joined a gym, Shape for ladies - are there any exercises I should avoid? I feel that by strengthening my core muscles I might reduce the pain and possibilaty of injuries, but I do not want to add to my problems by overstraining areas I should not. Thank you!
ChiroDoc
ChiroDoc

A thorough examination preferably by a chiropractic practitioner will be useful in determining which exercises you should or should not be doing. In the initial phase of your gym routine I would in any case advise that you take it easy - gradualy working up to something more consistant. Listen to your body - pain is a warning signal. Thus don't attempt any exercise or activity that elicits pain.