Question

Exercise / Diet and Muscle
I have been exercising 5 days a week for 3 years now. Three days a week I cycle for 40 minutes and the other two days I do weights on my upper body and calves. I'm 23, 1.68m tall and I way between 52.5 - 54. I'm not overweight, I'm just simply not putting on enough muscle. I don't want to become bulky, I just want hard lean muscle. I eat between 1.200 - 1.600 kcal a day. I have not taken any supplements to help me gain muscle mass - I'm simply to scared to take any of these protein or creatine things they advertise. My stomach is my main problem. Are these things like creatine they advertise HEALTHY and what are the long term effects of taking them. I want muscle but not at the expense of my health. Is there something else I can do. I have been told to increase my protein intake but I'm fearful of exceeding the normal RDA of protein. Does one really need to take these products to get a hard stomach? What NORMAL daily foods can I eat and what should I avoid?

Dear Snowie
I must say that I am very impressed by your exercise programme and your endurance - 3 years is a long time. I agree with you that taking creatine supplements is basically not a good idea - there have been reports of joint damage and athletes retaining fluid - things that are not desirable. I don't think you would do yourself any harm by taking a straightforward amino acid supplement like standard Aminolique. Try it for 1 month to see if it can assist with muscle building. I would surmise that you have the build of an ectomorph which makes it difficult to build very large muscles and that your present programme may need adjusting so that you can concentrate on that stomach. I would eat a balanced diet as you have been doing and just try the amino acid supplement to start off with. Ask your gym instructor to give you more exercises for your tum.