Question

EXERCISE / DIET AND MUSCLE
I have been exercising 5 days a week for 3 years now. Three days a week I cycle for 40 minutes and the other two days I do weights on my upper body and calves. I'm 23, 1.68m tall and I way between 52.5 - 54. I'm not overweight, I'm just simply not putting on enough muscle. I don't want to become bulky, I just want hard lean muscle. I eat between 1.200 - 1.600 kcal a day. I have not taken any supplements to help me gain muscle mass - I'm simply to scared to take any of these protein or creatine things they advertise. My stomach is my main problem. Are these things like creatine they advertise HEALTHY and what are the long term effects of taking them. I want muscle but not at the expense of my health. Is there something else I can do. I have been told to increase my protein intake but I'm fearful of exceeding the normal RDA of protein. Does one really need to take these products to get a hard stomach? What NORMAL daily foods can I eat and what should I avoid?

HI there

Your energy intake seems quite low considering all the exercise you are doing and I think this might be one of the reasons for gaining less muscle. Secondly, the RDA of exercisers is higher than sedentary individuals and many dieticians recommend 1,2g/kg body mass or sometimes even more.

I would strongly recommend you see a dietician about your diet, since although you might know what is healthy, I'm not convinced you are eating optimally and this is definitely the way to go, rather than taking the likes of creatine etc. Write to Dietdoc too, but ideally have a full consultation with a dietician.

These products will NOT give you a hard stomach - only training and a healthy diet can help this.

I hope this helps.