Question

02 Apr 2007

exercise for bulk
what is it that causes female hockey players to "bulk up" especially? they generally have big legs - why is this? what exercises should i avoid which can cause this? i train a lot at the gym and am worried about doing any exercises which will do this!

Hi Andy

Good question. I suspect that it's the constant playing and running in that semi-squat position. I know many players who don't gym and don't do specific playing drills, and develop this simply as an adaptation to actually hours of playing the game. So short of actually avoiding playing too much, I'm not sure. Of course, a lot depends on what your goals are from hockey - if you are playing to compete and get better, then you have to realize that this adaptation is helping you play better and so you shouldn't be trying to avoid it. If your hockey is simply social, then what I would suggest is that you do fewer squats and upper leg exercises at the gym - leg press, leg extension, hamstring curls etc. This is risky of course, because you don't want these muscles to be weak, so I think you should still do them, but do fewer sets and with a much lighter weight. That should hopefully balance out.

Ross