Question

Exercise for weight loss & toning
I have been 10kgs overweight and have lost 6kgs so far which I am loosing quite slowly (about 0.5kg per fortnight). I am keen on spinning and am aiming for 3x a week but am then feel quite fatigued to do toning classes as well. Would 20mins 2x a week for arm wieghts and 20ms for stomach exercise be suffice for overall toning. I main goal is to shed the weight but also carry on toning and will the spinning classes be suffice for leg and bottock toning?

Hi Mickey

Good job on the weight loss. I wouldn’t worry too much about the relatively slow weight loss, the important thing is that you’re losing weight in a manner that is sustainable. What you might change right away is getting more exercise per week in. It seems from your question that you are doing three sessions a week – adding a fourth will make a difference, because if you think about it, three days a week is good, but it still means you’re training less than you aren’t. And if you can add a fourth session, it really will help. The toning you want is fine, I don’t think that you need more than this, certainly until later. If you can do this, I think it will make a difference. But the other thing to remember is that the closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it might become to lose – that’ just the ceiling effect you see. So my advice is to focus on fitness and make sure that your primary goal is to get fitter and stronger, and let weight take care of itself.