Question

EXERCISE IN OLD AGE
Hi Kathleen

My mum is 72 years old, had a hip replacement some time ago. She has had difficulty walking the past few weeks, says the leg feels heavy. She also has difficulty lifting her one arm, not linked though. I have told her that it is very important that she keeps on doing some form of exercise. Especially cardiovascular and also to guard against muscle atrophy. What kind of exercises can she do?

Many thanks

She should consider cycling and also aqua exercises as an alternative to walking. Walking places stress on the joints, obviously, and this can be avoided by switching the exercise to the pool or onto a bike. She should consider joining a gym which offers these aqua classes. Virgin Active will be one such gym. Her other alternative is to consult with a biokineticist for an assessment and a supervised (initially) exercise programme, which she could then take on for herself at a later stage. This may be difficult if she has not been at a gym before, but it is important that she exercise, and outside of walking, there are not many home-based exercises she can do.