Question

Exercise in pregnancy
HI there

I am 17 weeks pregnant at this stage and just want to know what exercises are safe to do at the gym will pregnant.
I do not do a lot of exercise but I would like to get more fit before the baby comes.

Thank you

Hi there

If you aren't currently exercising, you need to take it very easy - since this is not really the ideal time to kick off with a new programme. Firstly, you need the blessings of your gynaecologist, that it is safe for you to exercise as well as some guidelines as to what you can and can't do. Many women opt for swimming or aqua-classes, which I think is an excellent option. Others choose walking. Depending on what your doctor advises, whatever you do start really slowly.

If you are interested in a supervised programme, call the Sports Science Institute on 021 659 5647 and they can tell you more about their pregnancy programme.

Good luck!