Question

Exercise programme for Barlow's syndrome
I have been diagnosed as having mitral valve prolapse (Barlow's syndrome). I have always struggled to follow an exercise programme, especially the cardio component. What exercise/fitness programme would you recommend for my condition? My blood pressure is very low and drops quickly when my heart rate increases suddenly. I am taking a beta blocker to keep my heart rate in check. How do I burn fat if my heart rate is kept down with the medication? I am about 10kg overweight.

HI Leaky valve

I hate to pass the buck on this, but you really need to start an exercise programme under supervision of a doctor or in a cardiac rehab programme. The problem you face is of course the medical condition - being on a beta blocker is in and of itself not too bad, you can do most exercise if you are able to control your medication, but the problem for you is that mitral valve, which will not allow the heart rate or the force of heart contraction to rise because of the valve. Therefore, you really need to be in a supervised programme. I'm not sure where you are, but for example, in Cape Town, there is a cardiac rehab programme at the Sports Science Institute. Similar programmes exist in Johannesburg, and these will be your best options.