Question

Exercises for uphill walking
My husband and I have recently started hiking and I enjoy it tremendously but I have great difficulty with the uphills. I am 25kg overweight and really not fit - what can I do to improve my aerobic fitness and what can I do about those damn hills!

Hi Kim

The best way to improve on hills is to train on hills! But aside from that, a generalised exercise programme can help.
I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will get all the info you need as well as weekly monitoring. If you prefer a home-based programme, then log onto the same site but go into the fitness section and you'll find "Shape up for Summer". There are many different cardiovascular options with great goals from which to choose, as well as a range of resistance exercises you can do from home.

Furthermore, if you are able to lose some weight by exercising regularly and eating a low fat, well-balanced diet, you will also find it much easier on the hills. Even if you lose 10kg, imagine the benefit of effectively not having to carry a 10kg sack of potatoes up a hill!

Good luck and keep up the hiking.