Question

Exercising
Dear Doc
I have heard that when you start exercising there is a possibility that you might gain a bit of weight within the first week, is this true or not? Also which do you think is the best excercises for the bum, hips and thighs as I seem to have a lot of fat stored in these areas?
Thank You

HI there

Yes, often you do gain a bit of muscle initially, which weighs more than fat tissue - BUT it burns more energy, which ultimately helps with fat loss. Rather keep your body measurements than weigh yourself - since the scale only tells you how much of you there is - not your body composition!! The tape measure on the other hand, will indicate fat loss and is a better tool in a way.

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will get all the info you need as well as weekly monitoring. If you prefer a home-based programme, then log onto the same site but go into the fitness section and you'll find "Shape up for Summer". There are many different cardiovascular options with great goals from which to choose, as well as a range of resistance exercises you can do from home.

Good luck!