Question

Exercising and Immune System
Hi Doc,

This is my 2nd attempt at exercising regularly but I must be doing something wrong. I've started going to gym in the mornings - 20 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights. I've been going every weekday morning. Weekends I go for trail walks and cycle. However, similar to my last attempt, 2 weeks into my training programme I'm sick with flu. Am I over exerting myself too soon? Should I relook my nutrition? I've changed my eating habits - lean white meat, lots of fresh fruit, veggies, etc. Do I need some sort of supplement or immune booster? I enjoy training...I just hate getting sick everytime. Before I'd only do weekend walks and no exercise during the week.

Hi Kylie

Perhaps you are doing too much too soon. I would recommend that once you are better, you exercise no more than 4 times a week initially - so perhaps you do 2 weekday sessions (perhaps building up your cardio section to 30 minutes) and then 2 weekend activities.

After about a month or so, you could add in an additional morning session. But then you have at least 2 days when you take it easy. On the days, when you don't go to the gym, you could consider a moderate 30 minute walk, which is a great stress reliever and then you don't feel like you are just lazing around.

If this programme doesn't work and you still get sick, I would suggest you get checked out by a doctor. Also write to Dietdoc to get some advice about how you can improve your diet (in case you are lacking something eg iron possibly).

You could take something like Viral C for 2 weeks to try to boost your immune system.

Good luck!