Question

exercising + colds
Hi there
I''ve only just started with my exercise plan - trying to get fitter - but now I think I might be getting a cold. Is it ok to carry on exercising? I heard it could even help prevent the cold from starting - is that true?
I don''t have a fever.

Hi there

It's a tough decision. There's a real risk that if you keep going, you make a mild cold worse and end up losing two weeks instead of the one you might have lost if you'd taken a few days off.

Generally, it's OK to keep going if you back right off and don't train hard. Take it easy and you can keep the cold at bay, and get over it. But you really will struggle if you train hard as normal, because the stress of exercise can weaken you enough that you get worse.

If you have a fever, then it's an absolutely no-no, no exercise at all. Rather take the week off, and return when you're healthy, the risk is too great.