Question

EXTREME COLD
My husband whi has never had a problem dealing with the cold - never wears jackets or jerseys has suddenly started having these strange attacks where is so cold he cannot warm up. He says its just a cold chill, but its very strange as he literally is shaking and trembling - even after putting on a jersey covering up in a blanket he still does not warm up - eventually 1/2 an hour later he will slowly stop shaking but this is usually after he has had something hot to drink a cup of tea or coffee. He refuses to go to the doctor and it is really concerning me as it is starting to happen on a daily basis. He is overweight and does not eat very healthy he also consumes a large amount of sugary foods e.g chocolate. Could this be a symptom of diabetes. please respond

Hi Roz
Shivers like this can be a sign of a serious underlying infection like Malaria, urinary tract infection or lung problem - and sometimes the patients do not have other symptoms. Ask him to at least just go for a blood test ( full blood count) to see if his white cell count is up? If it is they should look for the cause.