Ask an expert

02 Aug 2011

eye bags
hi doc
i have under eye bags im 36years old my left eye is larger then the right, i have been to a comectic surgeon who says he can remove them under local (is this safe and will i feel anything ?) secondly i went to my local gp who said i should see a dermatologist, i dont see how a dermatologist could help my problem or can he ? also are there any alternative treatments i could try other then surgery ie:juviderm ?
Answer 506 views
Anti-ageing expert
anti-ageing expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Mary-Anne, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one needs to examine the area of concern to find the exact cause of the bags and from there one can prescribe/recommend the best treatment options.

Generally speaking one will remove the fat “bags” with surgery but if there is an associated tear trough groove due to fat loss the groove will not improve.

If the bags are only mild but are made to look worse due to the underlying tear trough groove then a non surgical option (such as filler) may be a very good option for now.

Furthermore if the skin is lax and has a number of fine lines and wrinkles this may indicate early sun induced loss of collagen and elastin and one may have to consider skin resurfacing lasers as well.

Following from the above it is difficult to guide you correctly but you are more than welcome to take a digital photo and email it to me directly:

If you would like to email me a photo please do not do a close up of the eye area as this will distort the pathology and the best photo will be of the entire face as I can zoom onto the eye area if necessary.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.