Question

04 Apr 2007

Facial swelling
My Granny is 95 years old and over the past few months she has all of a sudden started getting really bad facial swelling, red hot, especially her nose and she said her glands under her chin are swollen and a bit sore. She has not changed her diet in any way nor her face soap or creams. She has never experienced this in all her years only the past few months, this is now the second time she has had this b ut it does go away after a week, but would like to know what it could be as she does not feel ill enough to visit the doctor. Could you please help? Thank you.

Dear Marge
This could be erysipelas , a bacterial infection of the skin. I think she needs to see your GP if this happens again as she needs to take antibiotics to kill the bacteria.
See http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/2561.htm