Question

Falling pregnant after longtime on pill
I was on the pill - Triphasil for about 10 years. I have been off it for almost a year now.
Will having been on the pill for so long effect my chances of failing pregnant normally?
fertility expert

Dear Bianca

There is very little evidence to suggest that prolonged use of combined oral contraceptives have a negative impact on fertility. On the contrary the oral contraceptive is often used for regulating cycles in a fertility program and in some cases of endometriosis. However it would be important to note the menstrual cycle pattern once the pill has been withdrawn and should this be erratic or irregular then a hormone profile may be necessary. There are very rare situations where abnormalities of prolactin may occur which may lead to ovulatory dysfunction, but I must stress that this in fact is fairly uncommon.