Question

Family!
I really don't like my family much today. I've come to realise that they might be the most selfish bunch imaginable.

Invited my parents and baby sister for lunch on Sunday because it's my birthday. After asking me what's on the menu (which I think was rude to start with), doesn't my mother tell me that my dad will not be happy eating that and that she will bring meat and I can just cook veggies and rice and and and. How rude!

I made it clear that I was actually INVITING THEM, so it should really be up to me to decide what to serve, shouldn't it?? So mom says that she doesn't want to be in the middle of this fight and that I can make whatever I want because they will not be coming over on Sunday anymore.

Sometimes they make me feel like it would have been wonderful being a bird rather. That way, your "family" ceases to exist as soon as your little wings grow feathers and you can fly away.

Remember my old line, about the kid who defined Family, as being people who come to dinner who aren't friends of yours ? That's your story to a T ! Yes, they were being rude and thoughtless. Like Buzz, I always think it's polite for any host.ess to ask guests beforehand if there are things they really don't like to eat, just to be sure. ( Mind you, I find these days that when I'm invited to a formal / business dinner and they ask the same questions, they always ignore the answers, and I'm inevitably fed exactly what I said I didn't want. ) I'd have thought that if your dad has any significant food dislikes, you'd probably know that, anyway, so I wonder what evidence her concern was based upon ?
Anyhow, though we won't be coming round to dinner --- Happy Birthday for Sunday !