Question

Family diet
Hi. I''m 50 and my kids are 19 1n 21.We are all carrying extra weight and I''m wondering what kind of general eating plan you would recommend for a family? I''ve been on every diet under the sun but cannot maintain my weight and pick it all up again as soon as I stop dieting. I''d like to get off the diet wagon and would like to come up with a plan that will suit, and benefit, the whole family.Rgds Doris

Dear Doris
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘DietnFood’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site. The suggested diet can be used by the entire family. You can also go your exercise together, like going for walks every day for at least 30 min. You will be able to give each other encouragement and support, which usually helps a lot when one is trying to lose weight.