Question

fat cat
Hi, my cat, Pitry, is quite fat. What should I do? We are trying to be strict with her and only give her a spoon of food once in the morning and once in the late afternoon, but she cries like crazy and when people visit they think we don't feed her at all. But, we love our cat and all we want is for her to loose some weight. The vet even said she needs to weigh between 4 to 5 kgs and now she is on 6.5kg. The vet could not feel her organs. Any tips?
cybervet

Hi Helen
I'm glad you are concerned about your cat as overweight can cause all sorts of health problems. There are various dry cat foods on the market which are aimed at senior cats (not sure how old yours is) or cats that tend to put on weight. I suggest you ask your vet about them. Tinned food is not such a good idea if she is greedy as it is easy to eat and isn't necessarily balanced. She will soon eat dry food if there isn't anything else. If you want to give her meat then try a raw chicken wing every few days. This will take her a while to chew through. Don't praise her or stroke her while she's eating, but walk away from the area. Give her much smaller amounts a few times a day, rather than two larger meals. Give her other things to keep her busy and active, e.g. some catnip toys, a climbing frame for cats (especially if she's an inside cat) and a fishbowl or TV to watch. Spend time playing or grooming her, rather than feeding her, when she demands to be fed. You could even take her for walks on a lead or in a cat basket, if she's an inside cat. Hope this helps.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST