Question

Fear
Dear Cybershrink
My husband is currently taking 160 mg MST three times per day. The MST makes him extremely drowsy and he sleeps a lot of the time. The problem is that he is a heavy smoker and falls asleep while he is smoking. He is going to burn the house down with him inside it and he won’t even know what is happening. He has already burned himself badly. The situation is very serious and I don’t know what to do. I’m not in a position to afford someone to look after him when I’m at work.

Dear El-Jo,
Its really nice to hear from you again. I wonder when he started on the MST, or when he started on this dose. Often people's system manages to get used to the drowsiness after some days, and they need not be too heavily drowsy on it ; but especially when it is relieving pain that's been long-sufered, in the relief, the person may indeed sleep a lot. All of that would be fine but for the smoking. I'm pleased to hear that at least he is not being treated by a doctor with the MST to control the pain ( maybe a lower dose would control the pain and not make him so drowsy --- the doctor would need to check this out ).
I wonder if this is being supplied by his GP, or through a hospice program, such as I suggested a while back. Through a hospice or the Cancer Association, it should be possible to get advice on balancing his dose just right to give maximum pain relief with minimum excessive drowsiness. And they should be able to help to provide a volunteer to spend some time with him, both so you can rest properly yourself, and maybe get a wee bit of recreation.