Question

Fear of dying!
Hi, I was bitten by a spider 2 weeks ago, causing a severe reaction. I had to be admitted to hospital and had the effects for around 10days before i could breath normally again. My problem is this. Since that day i have become terrified of dying! The spider bite me under my foot, now everytime i just feel a tingle, i start panicing that something else has bitten me, and im a dead man.
I seem to be frightened of everything, be it prescribed medication, to unknown insects, the dark, dying!! Mainly... any of the above causing death. I feel like i cant concentrate on life, because im to busy waiting for something to kill me!!!! And its only happened since my incident with the spider. Even before i go to bed, i pull off all the covers to check that there are no spiders in the bed ( i was bitten while laying on the bed) .... why do i have this preoccupation now?

Dear Jada,
It's actually quite easy to understand why you are now experiencing this over-reaction to your very frightening experience. It's probably a variety of an Acute Stress Reaction. Most of us get through various amounts of life feeling convinced that we are immortal, and that death and disaster only happens to Other People. Then, after an experience like yours, when suddenly and unexpectedly, something happens which brings one to the brink of death, that comforting illusion of immortality and perfect safety, is shattered. Often, we over-react in the opposite direction, now feeling that the world is a constantly dangerous pace, filled with nothing but risks, and feeling doomed to further disaster,
This is where counselling can be very helpful to get things back into perspective --- to recognize that while the world might not be as totally safe as you once thought, it's nowhere near as perilous as it now feels to you.