Ask an expert

30 Nov 2012

Fear of maths - phobia
Hi, I read an interesting article about poor performance in maths in children that does not seem to have anything to do with the need for remedial teaching, but treating the anxiety related to the anticipation of doing maths as a phobia and getting treatment accordingly. I " recognized"  my daughter in the article and would like to explore this avenue. Which type of doctor typically treats phobias? Are there any such doctors in the general Sandton area that you could perhaps reccommend? In all the adds etc I''ve read I have never come across anyone mentioning the treatment of phobias as their speciality! Any thoughts?
Answer 962 views

01 Jan 0001

Calling many things a Phobia ( like caling things an Addiction ) is a fashion amongst psychobabblers, inevitably people with no proper qualifications in professional mental health professions and/or a desire to market their own particular services.
That said, yes, this point seems reasonable. Marketers of Remedial Teaching insist, of course, that only their own not particularly well tested or proven methods will work. Yes, many kids are handicapped by a sort of fear of maths, because so many really untalented teachers abopund, whi succeed not in teaching naths, but are brilliant at teaching us thet we should assume we can't do maths - they make us feel defeated and hopeless. Any comp[etent psychologist, expecially one using the well established CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) methods should be able to help change these self-defeathing bad habists of negative thinking.
Proper professional shrinks are not suppoped to be advertising, and only a few areas of shrinkery are officially recognized as areas of specilization, though I do think it'd be useful if nore would indicate their areas of special interest and experience.
Seeing a child psychologist to assess your child, and then discuss diagnosis and treatment options would be the wisest course of action
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9328 votes
67% - 18821 votes