Question

Fear of needles(any Sharp objects)
Hi, My son is 4 years old and recently visited the dentist who then decided to extract one of his teeth there and then. Although he had extractions done before, -under conscious sedation this time it was done with him fully aware. It was a very traumatic experience and since then he becomes very panicky when we need to do anything to him that requires needles or scissors (e.g. I wanted to remove a splinter from his foot and he went into such a state that took it took me a couiple of minutes to calm him and then I could still not remove the splinter because he refused to let me touch his foot). He also becomes very nervous when any of us has to visit any doctor or dentist,he always asks whether the doctor will be using an injection or cutting us.
Should I seek professional help or will this fear fade away.

Sounds like the dentist really didin't handle this at all well ( and isn't there stuff like EMLA cream they can use to numb the mouth before giving an injection --- and couldn't he have aranged for sedation of the sort that had worked well before ? ). Such reactions may fade on their own, but if its been this strong for more than a couple of weeks, it'd be better to see a good shrink ( a psychologist, as meds are not needed ) for assessment and CBT type treatment, to help him unlearn this learned fear. It can usually be cleared up surprisingly soon