Question

fear of public speaking
hi doc,

my problem is that when ever i have to speak in public i get so afraid and start shaking uncontrolably. i don't like this cause it makes me look pathetic and stupid and i think my peers at church also think so.

This is a surpisingly common problem, and, fortunately, one that can be very effectively treated. And because you are so convinced that other people think the less of you for not performing well in public speaking, that of course makes you more nervous, and thus to perform less well. CBT style behaviour Therapy from a psychologist can help a great deal to build your self-confidence, practice some of the simple arts of speaking in public, and to learn how to control your nervousness. I'd place primary faith in psychological therapy, which is so effective here. Some medications can help --- some people find some of the meds also used to treat depression can help reduce such social anxiety disorders, too, and some drugs also used in cardiology, called Beta-Blockers, can reduce or remove the physical symptoms ( the shaking, swating, rapid pulse, etc ) even though they don't affect your psychological feeling of anxiety