Question

Feeling general run down and exhausted
Dear Doc,
I have been to a couple of doctors and a naturapath, yet none of the given remedies has seemed to help make me feel any better. I suffer from extreme fatigue, I could drop off to sleep if i blink too long. I experience a lot of headaches and seem to live on mypaid. Last night when i woke in the night to tend to my crying daughter, the tensionand pain in my head, neck and shoulders was so bad I could hardly move. I have also developed severe excema on my hands in the last two months and this seems to have affected my eyes, which are constantly irritated and red and at times I struggle to see out of my right eye as the vision tends to be very blurry. I have become really frustrated by all this and having three kids to look after doesn't help as I am generally so tired and irritable all the time that I just don't have the energy to do daily chores and I am sure I am no picnic to live with right now. All I want to do is go away for a week to a secluded island and recouperate and be left alone. Can you offer any suggestions. I have tried everything from wheat free diets(which left me with seious diorreah for two months) and at present I am taking Dynamisan to try to boost my energy. Thank you Tanya

Dear Tanya
Your doctor needs to exclude physical problems like anemia, outo immune diseases, thyroid problems, infections - this can all be done by blood tests. Then you need to have and ECG and CXR to ensure that there is no problem in the heart or lungs.

You may also be sleeping too little or too light, and may be overburdened with responsibilities.
Ask him to evaluate your for depression too - one does not always realize that this could be a problem.

If he can find NO physical problem, you may be suffering from chronic fatique syndrome - treated by antidepressants as it is caused by low serotonin levels in the brain and antidepressants increase these levels. Taking Magnesium supplements may also be useful. Antidepressants will also help for the chronic headaches by the way!

See http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/