Question

Feeling sad with new baby
Hi there,
I' m feeling totally overwhelmed having had a baby recently. She' s nearly 4 weeks old.
I' ve read alot about PND and i do have some symptoms. My gynae perscribed Espiride 50mg to help with my mood. I' ve had thoughts of suicide because i feel i just cannot cope and i feel trapped and sad which then makes me feel guilty.
I often feel that i' ve made a mistake and that motherhood is not for me. I should be happy but i feel totally empty and desperate instead.
What should i do?

Esperide is remarkably popular with non-psychiatric docs, but is NOT an effective antidepresant if one is truly depressed, as you may well be. Try to arrange to see a good local psychiatrist as soon as possible, as this condition is miserable but responds really well to proper treatment with a real antidepressant, and some counselling is also usually a good idea. I am confident that with the right help, which you really deserve, you will be able to cope, and will soon realize you have the potential to be an excellent mother. MEanwhile, are there any friends or family members who could pop in and maybe help you a little with some of the new tasks of caring for the child ?
And keep in touch with us on the forum, so we know of your progress. Lifeline is also available if you need to talk to someone directly before seeing a shrink