Question

Feelings for my old car
Dear Cybershrink
I recently advertised my older than 20 years car. This car has meant a lot to us - we have been through bad financial times, had to re-finance her, she is basically like a person to us. Looked after well and passed down to my mom who no longer wishes to drive her (71). I put in the ad she is old, she is not perfect, she has problems but she goes and she is a roadworthied, licensed vehicle. A guy phones me to see it. Fine. Then I hear he wants to drive it to the TVL. I am really upset because on the one hand if you sell something or give a gift...BUT I cannot bear the thought of it just being destroyed and driven into the ground. My ad actually states it needs to be driven respectfully on local errands. A person (who is only able to make 2 payments) approached me and sounds like the right person to give this car to. Am I being ridiculous? I used to laugh at that ad when the guy cried as he handed over his guys. I can''t stand things being destroyed and not taken care of. Maybe it is because I had to grow up so fast and take care of myself and my family -things have not come easy to me. Can I just be honest and tell the potential buyer why I won''t sell the car to them?

Not ridiculous at all. Its your car, and you're entitled to feel about it as you wish, and to choose the right person to sell it to. WHy not politely tell the potential buyer ( in time, surely ther'll be others ? ) whyyou feel bothered, and see what he feels about it ? I think those of us who have not spent our lives being rich, value objects more, and respect them more, than some of those today who don't care about the price of anythng, and consider all objects and people, replaceable