Question

female dogs suddenly started fighting
We adopted 2 female dogs from the Spca 4 years ago - all has gone well until recently when our Rhodesian ridgeback attacks our Part Chow and they fight terribly. We have kept them outside, but it appears I am the problem as when I sat outside with the ridgeback and the Chow appeared she attacked her. What more can I do ( apart from keeping them outside and not making a fuss of either)?
ld
cybervet

Hi Id
Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do once two bitches start fighting, apart from the obvious - separating them permanently. A lot depends on the damage they are doing as to whether it's worth the risk to try and sort it out. They are fighting over your attention, perhaps even more now that they are outside dogs and don't get very much attention from you. You really need a reputable animal behaviourist to visit you and see what is happening, take a detailed history and see if anything can be done to rectify the situation. Ask your vet for a referral to someone in your area.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST