Question

FENNEL
Fennel contains something called nitrates. What are nitrates and why is it not good for a person. How many times a week can I eat fennel (in a soup)? Are there any side effects?

Dear Ate
Nitrates and nitrites are chemical compounds that contain nitrogen atoms. They often occur as salts, e.g. salpetre and are used to make products like meat keep better and keep their nice red colour. There is a link between excessive intakes of nitrates and nitrites esp in cured meat and certain types of cancer. I don't think that having fennel occasionally will pose the same threat.