Ask an expert

11 Feb 2013

Good Day Dr

A few months before I got married, I went onto the YAZ pill, then after I went onto the EVRA patches. I developed bleeding the week before the wedding and it wouldnt stop. About a month after we got married I found out I developed PCOS. A few months later after going for a scan and pap I found the pcos to have cleared. When I was diagnosed the dr put me on triphysil and a week after told me to stop as the bleeding wouldnt stop.

I have not been on any contraceptives for over a year now and we have not conceived. We feel we would like to start trying to have a baby now, we are both 26.

My periods have lately started coming later each month, my dr thinks i could not be ovulating properly. He suggests fertility which is very expensive.

Please tell me what you think. Its very scary as this is something new for me. What will I go through and what can I expect.

Answer 382 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear wannabeparent
It is important to once and for all establish whether or not you have PCOS or not. This will require careful internal scans as well as hormone evaluations. Next I would advise that a sperm analysis be done to rule out any male factors contributing to the problem. There after I would recommend that you have your tubes evaluated for tubal patency, this can be done through an x-ray called an HSG or if so required a small surgical procedure called a laparoscopy, should all the above test be considered normal than the problem would be ovulation induction initially through simple tablets and careful monitoring for signs of ovulation. Initially the monitoring could be done as a home test using the ovulation kit called clear plan. However if the PCOS is deemed to be definite and significant than the follicle tracing or scanning to evaluate ovulation might be the better mild cases of PCOS simple ovulation induction tablets as well as weight loss and metabolic control may be all that is necessary to conceive.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.