Question

FErtility doctor please advise
I have been trying to conceive now for close to 5years now had 2 laprascopies done already within the 5 years of trying and HSG which showed my tubes were blocked. What are the chances of me conceiving after i have a tubal surgery to open by tubes cause i cannot afford to have IVF now with all the expenses i have incurred all this time doing laprascopies and xrays. i am really considering having a tubal surgery done but need to now the risks involved and my chances of getting pregnant. please advice.
fertility expert

Dear Bridgette

The success of tubal reconstructive surgery depends entirely on the grade or severity of the damage in the first place. In mild forms of tubal obstruction reversal can be extremely successful, in the order of 60%. However, in more advanced cases unfortunately, the success rate can be less than 10%. Therefore, I suggest you discuss this with your gynaecologist before proceeding. Also, you need to do a careful cost benefit analysis including time off from work and the cost to your medical aid or out of pocket against the cost of in vitro fertilisation, which would be your most logical option.