Question

Fibroid Op 6 times
Doc, am desperate and need your help as many women highly recommend you. I have had 6 mymectomy done three from the same hospital and the other three was a second opinion in another hospital. I have fibroids again and its hardly a year and they are so painful. I need another mymectomy and my periods are so heavy now. Am on iron tablets and B complex. There is no other alternative to this frustration of the knife? All doctors would not do a hysterectomy because I bleed alot. What next because am walking like am 7 months pregnant. Please advice as am very frustrated and in pain.
fertility expert

Dear Tashnee

It is quite obvious that you are in a fair amount of distress. The fact that you have had so many myomectomies would suggest that the fibroids are multiple and relatively fast growing. Furthermore, the number of operations would result in a significant amount of internal scarring as well as adhesion forming, which would make the subsequent operation even more difficult.

The fact that you bleed very easily might imply an underlying anemia i.e a low haemoglobin, but may also suggest some sort of clotting disorder which I strongly recommend you have investigated. To do this, you will have to do blood tests which will have to be BOOKED with a laboratory. This would include a clotting profile as well as a bleeding time.

There are interim measures or temporary measures to control the growth of the fibroids and allow some degree of shrinkage, but upon stopping the treatment the fibroids will start to grow again and probably reach the exsisting or pre-treatment size within nine months. This treatment includes the use of ZOLADEX or LUCRIN DEPO but the objective here should be to reduce the size of the fibroids to simplify the next operation.

Another alternative is the use of embolectomy which is done by a radiologist, where the blood supply to the fibroids is obstructed intentionally. This would cause shrinkage of the fibroids on a more permanent basis.
The feasibility of embolectomy will have to be assessed by the radiologist as this procedure is not without some risk.

From your history given, my recommendation would be that a hysterectomy be attempted despite all the reservations that you have.