Question

Fibroids / Endometriosis - I''m confused!
Hello, this is my first time on this forum but I need some info and don''t know where else to look.

My partner was referred to a Gynae yesterday by our GP after they did a pelvic ultrasound for really bad abdonimal pain and they found that she has Uterine Fibroids and I read something about endometriosis or something as well in the report.

The Gynae did a papsmeer and another ultrasound and confirmed the fibroids. We are planning to conceive in the near future and for that reason the Gynae said that she''ll take a conservative approach because of that and gave my partner a prescription for tablets to reduce excessive bleeding and also strong painkillers. According to her their is nothing wrong with the uterus, it is not deformed and the wall is looking good as well for her to conceive. Only the cervics is slightly pulled up because of the fibriods but that is nothing to worry about now.

Everybody is now saying she should go for a second opinion because they can''t understand why the Gynae didn''t just schedule an operation to have the fibroids removed and only gave her pain medication. So I''m confused and my partner is worried sick that something serious is wrong as she is still experiencing abdominal pain and discomfort.

Please can anyone help/just give some advice maybe?

Thank you.

The best treatment for fibroids is a hysterectomy. Obviously if you are trying to conceive, this would not be what you want.Trying to remove just the fibroids is a tricky and difficult operation with complications, as they grow into the muscle of the uterus. It may also leave you with having to have caesareans when she falls pregnant.
Thus a conservative approach is better if you are wanting to fall pregnant. It dowes not sound like the fibroids will interfere with this. In terms of pain, if this does nto settle, she may need further tests to check for endometriosis.