Question

Filler
Hi Doc,

Having read your column, I am keen to try a filler to give me a lift under my eyes. Just one concern - can a filler do more harm than good - i.e.can I end up with lumps or uneven skin under my eyes?
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

Hi Lady Di, thank you for the question.
All cosmetic procedures should be viewed as medical procedures first with the possibility of side effects and complications. Generally, the main side effects of all fillers are bruising, erythema (redness/inflammation), swelling, and discomfort with injection. More severe side effects that may be experienced are infection/abscess, necrosis, and granuloma formation. Specifically with fillers around the eye area there is a possibility of ‘lumps’ forming, however, these ‘lumps’ tend to resolve with massage and pressure. If they do not resolve there are injectables that once administered dissolve the lumps. If the filler is placed too deep or through the orbital rim, it may enter the orbit with severe complications. Please note that the above-mentioned side effects and complications are also dependent on the experience of the injector. Furthermore, the doctor you consult should run through all the possible side effects and treatments, and you must understand them fully before signing the consent form.