Question

Fish vs red meat

I have to check my cholestorol & liver function due to a condition I was diagnosed with.

I try to move over to fish as my main source of meat and would like to know:
-Is salmon (pink tinned) better than tinned tuna
-Is the frozen hake etc. better than tinned salmon and tune

Thank you

Dear Chris
Fish, especially fatty fish, is an excellent food which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Research has shown that people who eat fish 3 or more times a week have a lower risk of heart disease. It is, therefore, good that you are including more fish in your diet. Salmon is richer in omega-3 than white fish like hake, but all types of fish will contribute to your omega-3 intake. Hake is again low in kilojoules (which may be an advantage to lower cholesterol), but not as rich in omega-3. I think your best approach is to eat a variety of fish, which will not only make your diet more interesting, but provide you with a broad spectrum of nutrients. Keep in mind that you need to avoid fatty sauces (mayonnaise, sour cream), and cooking methods that add lots of fat to your food (use grilling and poaching instead of deep fat frying). Combine the fish with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and wholegrain foods to supply you with plenty of protective nutrients. Use only fat-free milk and dairy products and when you do eat meat, use only lean cuts and remove the visible fat. The SA Heart Foundation cautions that one should only eat 4 eggs a week.