Question

fitness
I'm invited to walk the Otter Trail in September and don't know how to go about getting fit. have never done any hiking before.
Im 23 years old, 1.75 m tall and fairly active. I weigh 60 kg. I go to gym three times a week and jog in the mornings.
Can you please advise something that wil help me get fit and prepare me for this trip?

NS: Im going with the inlaws - so the last thing I want to worry about is my fitness and ability to keep up.

Dalene

Hi Dalene

Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job of keeping fit!! What I would just suggest, is that you do some jogging on hills, or on a treadmill on elevation, since the Otter Trail is very undulating with quite a few climbs, however, the days are fairly short (in km's), so I really wouldn't worry. Alternatively, do some weekend walks in hilly areas with a day pack on your back.

Also try to keep your backpack at a weight less than 15kg (when on the trail) - i.e preferably at about 13kg - and ensure you have good hiking boots, so that you have better grip on the boulders.

It is a magnificant hike - I am envious! Enjoy it!