Question

Fitness after DVT
Hello Doc

4 months ago I suffered a 30 cm DVT in my left leg. Tests showed deficiencies in C and S blood proteins (whatever they are!) were the cause. I now have to take Warfarin for life. Prior to the thrombosis, I kept pretty fit with running and weights. My instinctive 'cure' was to exercise gradually to encourage canalization of new veins, but the specialist had a fit saying the best bet was to rest with leg elevated. This I religiously followed for about 2 months going quietly insane with bordom and progressive flabbiness. I now walk (with support hose) daily, having built up to about 3 km a day, do situps, pushups and some isometrics. The leg does get tired and 'heavy', especially on uphills, but doesn't swell as much. I'd really like to get back to a daily 8km run and ditch the pink stocking. I'm 49. Any thoughts please?

HI there

I would think that what you are doing is perfectly safe and that in time, you should be able to walk up to 8km's. I'm not sure about "ditching the stockings!" However, I would recommend you get a second opinion from a sports medical specialist. You can try and see one of our Sports Science Institute physicians (ph: 021 659 5644). If you don't live in the area, they can refer you appropriately. I am QUITE sure - they will support you exercising, but would prefer them to see you to ensure that this opinion is correct.

Good luck!