Question

Fitness with a knee problem
I had a knee operation recently and would like to know what would be the best way to get back to full fitness again. I have been a runner as well as a referee at the moment but need to get back into shape soon.

Please advise

Hi there

I hope that you have been through a full rehabilitation programme, where the knee has been strengthened and is more or less back to normal. If not, I recommend you do this through a Biokineticist. We have Peak Biokinetics at the Sports Science Institute on 021 659 5647, so perhaps give them a call or get a referral to someone in your area. If you don't rehab your knee, you increase your risk of re-injuring it - so rather take the safe option.

Once this programme is complete, you could perhaps go to the home page and click on "Shape up for Summer". There are 5 different goals there, which might appeal to you and each has a safe, progressive programme which might be able to get you back to fitness again. Don't forget to keep up the resistance training as well.

Good luck.