Question

FLABBY TUMMY AND LOW BACK PAIN
I need some advice on how to firm up my tummy muscles as I have a weak back and read that
slack abdominal muscles can affect the back. I walk abou 45 minutes 3 times a week and cycle on the days I can't go walking. I need a programme that I can follow at home.

Hi Shelly

Yes you are right - abdominal exercises will help your back strength, as the deepest ab muscle is a stabiliser (transverse abdominus) muscle for your back. I suggest you go to the home page of this website and click on Shape up for Summer - a home-based programme, which should provide you with all the info you need. Also write to Dietdoc for some advice - since perhaps your diet is not optimal?

Good luck.