Question

31 May 2011

Flatulence
hi there,

Can stress/anxiety cause a lot of flatulence.

I have been for a gastroscopy and apart from a lazy stomach valve nothing else is wrong.

I am on my period now and have some lower abdominal pain. But I find as soon as I start stressing about things I fart like crazy. Not loud ones but just air...

What is up with this?

Yes it can, though maybe more often caused by one's reaction to certain foods. Is this entirely new ( or has it been happening for years ? ) Stress can cause various varieties of muscle tensions, and that may make you a bit more likely to expel air ( and some counselling to reduce the stresing could help ). But Stress won't lead you to produce more air to expel. That tends to be related more to diet.
At the other end, air that one burps is usually just air one swallowed, and a behavioural psychologist cam help you to learn to stop swallowing ir and to stop burping ( which can become a nervous habit ).